Saturday, June 30, 2007

LaShawn's Intro

I am a 30-something SAHM (stay at home mom) which can be a very hard lonely job. I have a BS in Biology and Environmental Science but have not worked since my first son was born. If I didnt craft I would lose my mind. I have two boys (2 and 5) and they keep me very busy. We live in rural Virginia (in the boondocks). I sew, knit, crochet and now do tunisian. I have been sewing since I was about 3, crocheting for about 10 years, knitting for about 2 years, and Tunisianing (is that a word?) for about 2 months. I like to crochet (incl. tunisian) the best, mostly because I can pick it up and put it down without worrying to much about where I left off. I make purses and other accessories and take them t craft shows to sell. I tried eBay but craft shows are so much better. I also do a lot of made to order. A lot of times I will make something to sell and decide it perfect for someone and just give it away. I mostly sell things for 3 reasons; 1. People ask me to make something for them and pay me for it, 2. I make money to buy more supplies, 3. If I didnt sell it, it would just pile up around the house. I especially like to recycle things. Two of my best selling purses are one made for drink cans (crocheted) and one made from old magazine pages. I am a Christian and would like to start a crochet and knit group through my church. I just dont really know how to get started.

I havent decided what size or color afghan to make. Its hard to make stuff for boys so. I thought about doing camo colors but I would have to buy the materials. I already have a pound of pink, a pound of purple, and a pound of white. But dont know who I would give it too. There are always women in the church having babies or I could donate it to the rescue squad fund drive. Or maybe I will have a girl next time. Any suggestions.

1 comment:

Buggy said...

I find a lot of crocheters have scientific backgrounds. I have a BS in material Engineering with a minor in EE and CoE and a BS in Math.
I love that with especially this afghan you could put it down and in 6 mo pick it up and still know where to begin without a pattern.
If you just want to practice I'd use the colors you have and do a small afghan for a baby using 2-3 diamonds for the starting row then just keep it on hand for a baby shower as you said. Then you may hit a great sale or take one of the kids shopping sometime to find colors they might like. Or purple and white only would be fine for a boy.
I'd love to see the purses you make to they sound interesting and unique.